Wards in the City of Derry/Londonderry, 1860-1898
The city appeared to have had wards from, at least, the early nineteenth century. In the 1830s the wards were Bishop St. Ward, Butcher St. Ward, Ferryquay St. Ward and Shipquay St. Ward. After the creation of Poor Law Unions each Poor Law Union was divided into Dispensary Districts and each Dispensary District was further sub-divided into Electoral Divisions [DEDs]. The City or Borough of Londonderry was initially covered by the District Electoral Division of Londonderry City and Suburbs. However, the Londonderry City and Suburbs DED was further subdivided into three wards - North Ward, East Ward and South Ward. Note that the East Ward included the streets on the Waterside as well as streets on the west bank of the Foyle. Note that parts of some of the streets on the Waterside lay outside the city boundary and, therefore, were not included in the East Ward. Instead they would have been included in Glendermot DED, part of which became Waterside Rural after 1898.
This administrative arrangement continued until the County Council Act of 1898. Note that the base map used below is a copy of the six-inch Griffith's Valuation Map of c. 1859, hence the numbering of plots of land in the rural areas on the map. Whilst this map will give a general idea of the ward in which a street was situated between 1860 and 1898, it is best to consult the Wards and Townlands in the City 1860-1898 [by street] database.
Copyright 2010 W. Macafee.