Wards and DEDs in the City of Londonderry, c.1900After the County Council Act of 1898 the city was designated as a a County Borough. The borough was further subdivided into five DEDs. These were Londonderry No. 1 Urban DED which was also the North Ward; Londonderry No. 2 Urban DED which was also the South Ward; Londonderry No. 3 Urban DED which was also the East Ward; Londonderry No. 4 Urban DED which was also the West Ward and Londonderry No. 5 Urban DED which was also the Waterside Ward.
As with rural areas, the five DEDs were grouped within the Dispensary/Registrars' Districts. Until 1870 the entire city on the west bank of the Foyle was covered by one Dispensary/Local Registrar's District. After that date the Local Registrars' Districts of Londonderry Urban No.1 and Londonderry Urban No. 2 were created. No. 1 lay east of a line running along Bishop Street through the Diamond and down Shipquay Street to the Guildhall and No. 2 lay to the west of that line.
Note that the North and the West Wards lay entirely within Londonderry Urban No. 2 Registrar's District. The East Ward lay entirely within Londonderry Urban No. 1 Registrar's District. The South Ward was partly in Londonderry Urban No. 1 Registrar's District and partly in Londonderry Urban No. 2 Registrar's District. Incidentally, if you look at the locality study of William Street in the Barony of North West Liberties of Londonderry link in the right-hand menu you will find an entry in the Griffith's Revision Book which shows the dispensary first valued in the street in 1873. You will also be able to see on a map of the street where this dispensary was located.
Until 1899 the Dispensary/Registrar's District on the Waterside was known as Glendermot and included both the urban and rural areas on the east bank of the Foyle. After 1899 the rural part became known as Waterside Rural Registrar's District and the urban part as Waterside Urban Registrar's District.
The use of the word Urban in both the Dispensary/Registrar Districts and the DEDs for the city can be somewhat confusing. Note that with the Registrars' Districts the Urban always comes before the number. The opposite is the case with the DEDs. To be honest, when looking at the Griffith's Revision Books and the 1901 and 111 Census, it is probably more important to remember in which Ward a street was located.
I do not have a map of the entire city at a scale that would show the distribution and layout of all of the wards after 1898. The map below, which is at a scale of c.12 inches to the mile, shows part of the boundaries of the North, South, East and West Wards on the west bank of the Foyle. The names of some of the streets on this map are readable but it is advisable to consult the Wards, DEDs and Registrars' Districts in the City 1901/1911 [by street] database. Note that before 1899 William Street had been entirely in the "old" North Ward. After 1899 it became part of the "new" North and West Wards. Pump Street had been partly in the "old" East and South Wards before 1899. From 1899 it lay entirely within the "new" East Ward.
Copyright 2010 W. Macafee.