First [Townland] Valuation of Ballyagan

The initial survey of Ballyagan in 1832 recorded 13 houses, 27 cabins, 2 flax mills and a schoolhouse. These three pages below [35, 36 & 37] from [PRONI ref. VAL/1B/54A-C] give details of the flax mills, the schoolhouse and 10 of the houses. For an explanation of the codes, etc. used in describing the buildings, read this.

Note that the numbers in the first column refer to the numbers originally given to each building by the valuer during his survey of the townland. Once the 3, or greater, buildings had been selected, this smaller group of buildings was renumbered and the original number stroked out. These were the numbers that were written on the accompanying valuation map.  It is relatively easy to match these houses up with those shown on the 1859 valuation map.