The Townland of Cullyramer in the Parishes of Aghadowey and DesertoghillThe townland of Cullyramer is located to the east of the town of Garvagh [see map of the locality]. Cullyramer was part of the civil parishes of Aghadowey and Desertoghill in the Barony of Coleraine. Later it was part of the District Electoral Division of Bovagh in the Poor Law Union of Coleraine. Note however than when using both the Griffifth's Revision Books and Form B1 [House & Building Return] in the 1901 and 1911 Census Returns the Aghadowey and Desertoghill parts of the townland are dealt with separately.
Townland of Cullyramer in the Parish of Aghadowey
Cullyramer in the Parish of Desertoghill
figures in the table below [compiled from the official census] show
how the number of people and [inhabited houses] in each part of the
townland changed during the period 1831 to 1901.
* A note in the census states “the decrease is attributed to emigration”. ** A note in the census states “The enumerator reports that some houses, etc. were returned in this townland in 1881 which properly belonged to the townland of the same name in Desertoghill Parish”. *** A note in the census states “The decrease attributed to the stoppage of work in a beetling mill”.
The most striking feature in the table is the fact that in 1901 the numbers of people and houses in Cullyramer were only a quarter of the numbers in 1831. The decline began during the Famine years but was most noticeable towards the end of the century. The reasons for this are vividly highlighted in the notes in the census.
The table below
shows the religious breakdown of the population in the townland in the
early nineteenth century, calculated from the 1831 Census Returns.
Census Returns [Aghadowey]
also list the names of the householders and the dominance of
Scottish planter surnames is clear. This, of course, explains the religious
breakdown shown in the table above. The Tithe Applotment
Book of 1832 [Aghadowey]
gives the names of the main landholders in the townland. Note
that there are only 7 names listed in the Aghadowey part of the
townland and 11 in the Desertoghill part. You might want to compare
these names and properties with those in the 1831 Census Returns
and the 1859 Griffith's Printed [Tenement] Valuation
and see how many you can match up
The 1859 Griffith's Printed [Tenement] Valuation hows that the entire townland was a mixture of some quite substantial farms, smaller farms and a considerable number of cottiers who, I suspect, relied on the domestic linen industry to support their families. Detailed information on the size and condition of a few of the farmer's houses are given in the 1832 Townland Valuation. Only one house reached the threshold for inclusion in the Aghadowey part of the townland and two in the Desertoghill part. A flax mill is marked on the 1833 map but it is actually located in the adjoining townland of Boghilboy.
Revision Books will show you the changes in each holding and help
you to link the names and properties in the 1859 Griffith's Printed
[Tenement] Valuation with those in the 1901 Census Returns
The table below shows the number of people and houses in the townland
in 1901 and the religious breakdown of the population.
Like most townlands in the county, the 1901 figures show a sharp reduction in the number of families and houses. This reduction can be attributed to the decline in the linen industry and the consolidation of farms. Interestingly the religious breakdown of the reduced population in 1901 was similar to that of 1831.
The farming families within both parts of the townland were dominated by a few names - McFetridge, Kennedy, Torrens and Lyttle. These families had been resident in the townland since, at least, the 1830s. One family, that of Samuel Long, was a relative newcomer. He arrived in the townland c.1857 and had formerly lived in the Roe Valley. I have selected this family, for more detailed study.
Copyright 2013 W. Macafee.