Church Street, Coleraine [North Side] from the Diamond (Market Street) to Park Street (Rosemary Lane): 1816
This drawing from the Coleraine Book of 1816, commissioned by the Irish Society, shows the houses on the north side of the street from Market Street (now the Diamond) to Rosemary Lane (now Park Street). The letter A and Nos. 6 to 9 refer to plots of land marked on Archibald Stewart's Map of the street in 1758. The frontage of each plot is given in feet. No. 6 [at the Rosemary Lane end of the drawing] was 40 feet, No. 7 was 16 feet, No. 8 was 19 feet, No. 9 was 37 feet and plot A, which was No. 10 on the map, was 42 feet. The 1834 Valuation Map for this section of the street is numbered 28 to 34 from Rosemary Lane to the Diamond.
If you look at Nos. 28 to 34 in the 1832 Townland Valuation you will be able to see who occupied this part of the street in 1832 and the 1831 Census Returns will confirm if they actually lived there. Starting from Rosemary Lane, the following persons appear to have lived here in 1832 - the house on the corner was to be let in 1832, then William Donaldson, George G. L. Carson, James Walker, John Hamilton, Alexander Fulton and Thomas Burley. I suspect the house next to Market Street may have been treated as part of the Diamond by both the valuers and the census enumerators.
The 1832 Townland Valuation also gives the exact dimensions of each house in 1832 plus a valuation of the house and its adjoining offices. For example the house [No. 7 in the drawing, No. 29 on the 1832 map] was occupied by William Donaldson (Cotton Manufacturer, Black Soap Maker & Haberdasher). The dimensions of the house in 1832 were 18.0 feet of a frontage, 27.0 feet deep and 26.0 feet high (suggesting 3 storeys, confirmed by the drawing) and a valuation of £15.40. By 1859 it was occupied by James Nevin (Grocer) and was now valued at £23.00.
In 1832 the house left of Donaldson's was inhabited by George G. L. Carson (Apothecary & Surgeon). Its dimensions in 1832 were 18.0 of a frontage, 20.5 feet deep and 20.0 feet (suggesting 2 storeys, confirmed by the drawing) and a valuation of £15.40. By 1859 it was occupied by Andrew C. Clarke (Apothecary & Surgeon). The dimensions were now 19.5 feet of a frontage, 38.0 feet deep and 3 storeys with a valuation of £28.00.
The 1859 and 1832 valuations of the the above two houses suggest considerable rebuilding. between these two dates. The remainder of houses in the street to the Diamond were all 2 storeys in both 1832 and 1859. However, there was considerable rebuilding of these houses after 1859 when they all became 3 storeys