The top photograph must have been taken after
1909. The reason for suggesting this date is the fact that
the building beside the telegraph pole in the picture [at
the corner of Park Street] had been rebuilt and refurbished
by 1909. When this building is compared with the same
building in the coloured postcard below you should be able
to see a difference in both height and architectural style.
Furthermore the skyline of the buildings from Park Street
towards St. Patrick's Church looks different in each
photograph. The coloured postcard dates from circa 1903.
It was posted in Coleraine at 3.45 p.m. on 10th September
1903 to a Miss Lucy Carpenter, 129 Brooke Road, Stoke
Starting with the black and white
photograph, the draper's shop in the foreground, at the
corner of the Diamond and Church Street [Griffith's No. 18]
was occupied by Robert Moorhead. He did not live there in
1901. The 1901 Census Returns record him as living in Esdale Terrace
on the Millburn Road. According to the 1911 Census Returns
his widow was living on Lodge Road. By 1920 the shop was occupied
by Tweedy Acheson.
Next door [Griffith's No. 34] was occupied
by Samuel Rogers (Watchmaker & Jeweller) & H. E.
[Harriet] Rogers (Berlin Wool,
Fancy Warehouse). No-one resided in the premises in
1901. The 1901 Census Returns record Samuel and his
daughter, Harriet, living in Ardbana
Terrace [Mountsandel Road] and in New Row in 1911.
By the 1920s it was occupied by The Misses McLarnons (Newsagents) who had moved from
Bridge Street. The family
continued to occupy the premises until the late 1950s. By
1967 the shop was part of Tweedy Acheson.
Next was [Griffith's No. 33] which had
been occupied by John Tyler & Sons (Boot Warehouse)
since 1895. No-one
resided in the premises in 1901. Tyler & Sons were still there in
Next was [Griffith's No. 32] which had
been Caskey's Berlin Wool and Fancy Warehouse until about
1900. It was vacant in 1901 and by 1905 was
occupied by John & William McLeese (Grocers). J. B.
McLeese was recorded as living in this house in the 1911
Census Returns. Later this shop was occupied by Joseph
McMullan (Chemist & Photographer) and then by A. W. McDowell
(Chemist) who continued to occupy it until the 1960s. In
1967 it was occupied by John Temple (Tailors).
Next was [Griffith's No. 31] which had
been occupied by John McCandless [Plumber, Gasfitter and
Hardware] since 1886. The 1901 and 1911 Census Returns
record him as living on the Lodge Road.
The firm of John McCandless
Ltd. continued to occupy these premises until 2003.
After this the height of the buildings change.
There were three shops in this lower block, and these will
be covered in the next photograph.
here to open next photo in this window]