This photograph shows the row of houses and
shops described in the previous photograph. However, this
time the shot is looking towards the Diamond. The photograph
must have been taken some time between 1906 and 1912 - see
The first shop [Griffith's No. 29] was
occupied by Robert Boyd (Grocer, Seedsman & Grain Merchant).
He is first listed in the Griffith's Revisions as occupying
this shop in 1906. The Revisions indicate the shop as vacant
in 1912 and by 1913 it was occupied by the brothers J. & D.
McKay (Drapers & Merchant Taylors).
Interestingly, the occupants of these
premises before Boyd had been Hill Bros. who were also
Tailors. See the next photograph for more details on them.
The next shop [Griffith's No. 29a] with the
barber's pole was occupied by William McCloskey (Barber)
from 1909. McCloskey actually lived in Society Street at
this time. McCloskey's Barber's shop was still there in the
1960s. Now occupied by Jamieson's (Jewellers).
The final shop in this 'lower' row
[Griffith's No. 30] had been occupied by Daniel Todd
(Grocer, Poulterer & China Warehouse) He also had a shop in
Kingsgate Street and in 1901 he lived in Nursery Avenue (or
Nursery Row as it was called then). By 1911 he had moved to
the Lodge Road. The shop remained in the Todd family until
the 1950s when its occupant was T. J. Giffin (Grocer).