|The large bay window
projecting from [Griffith's No. 6] near the corner with New
Row suggests that this photograph was taken after 1903.
The shop on the corner with the Diamond [Nos.
1 & 2] had been occupied by J.
S. Anderson & Sons (Drapers) since the late 1860s. It was
known as the Arcade. J. S. Anderson lived in Spring Gardens
on the Lodge Road and his son, William F., also lived on the Lodge
Road. By 1939 it was in the hands of Goorwitch Ltd. and by
1967, Paul Fashions.
[No. 3], with
the pediments on the four, first floor windows, was occupied by Miss Carson (Tea & China Warehouse) from 1899.
The 1901 Census Returns listed her as living here,
but she gave her occupation as grocer. After 1935 it was
occupied by Margaret E. Stevenson (Outfitter). By the 1950s
H. & T. Bellas (Hardware) had moved to here from [No. 7].
By the 1960s it was Lipton's supermarket.
[No. 4], not so high as [Nos. 1 to 3], was listed as
vacant around 1900. Thomas Cameron (Butcher) who was living
in Abbey Street in 1901 had moved in here by 1905 and was
listed in the 1911 Census Returns as living here. The firm was still
trading here in 1967.
[No. 5], same height as [No. 4], was a public house. The 1901
Census Returns listed John Hinshelwood as living here. By
1908 the occupant was John Keegan. D. J. McKenna occupied
the premises from 1935 to the 1960s.
[No. 6], with the projecting bay window, had been the house and shop
of Abraham Moody (Grocer, etc.) He died in 1899 and the
building was refurbished by James Kennedy (Builder) around
1903. Hill Bros. (Drapers & Tailors) from [No. 29] across the
street moved in after the reurbishment. They moved to the Diamond in 1920. By 1927
the occupant was J. W. Moore (Draper). The family still
continues to trade here today and has expanded to include
[No. 7] at the corner of New Row was
the premises of H. & T. Bellas (Ironmongers, etc.) from the
early nineteenth century. By the 1950s the Church Street
part of the shop had moved to [No. 3].
It was then occupied by the Maypole (Grocers). The firm
finally moved to their Beresford Place site during the 1960s.
here to open next photo in this window]