Extract from the 1905 Belfast and Ulster Directory for the town of Ballymoney

BALLYMONEY, a market town with a population of 2,952, is situated in the Parish of Ballymoney and Barony of Upper Dunluce. It is the capital of the North Antrim Division of the County (46 miles by road and 53 by rail from Belfast), and is the largest seat of the population and trade. Hand-loom weaving still exists in the neighbourhood, though that cottage industry has vastly decreased. The Braidwater Spinning Company have extensive spinning mills at Balnamore, two miles distant. Branches of the Belfast Bank and of the Ulster Bank are established here, and an agency of the Bank of Ireland.

The Parish Church, a handsome and imposing building, was erected in the year 1782, opposite the site of the ancient church, the tower of which is still standing in good repair. On a semi-circular slab inside this tower ii the following inscription :—"This church was builded to the glorye of God A.D. 1637." The other houses of Divine worship are - for Presbyterians, 3 - Roman Catholics, 1 - Unitarians, 1 - Covenanters, 1 - and Methodists, 1. The First Presbyterian Church, erected in 1777, is a large and commodious house, and has recently undergone considerable internal renovation. A new Lecture Hall with Class Rooms has been erected at the junction of Union Street with Church Street, at a cost of £1,500. The Second Presbyterian Church was rebuilt in 1887, and is a pretentious structure, built of freestone, and its lofty spire gives the building an imposing appearance. The third Presbyterian Church, erected in 1834, is rectangular in construction and is built of black stone. The interior presents a very neat and comfortable appearance. The Roman Catholic Chapel is the most imposing building in the town. It is built principally of black stone, the spire (120 feet in height) and dressings being of sand-stone, which forms a pleasing contrast. It was erected at a cost (including schools) of £12,284.

A branch of the Wigtownshire Creamery Company has been established in the town, which has become most successful. Their premises are situated in Meeting House Street, adjoining the B.N.C. and Ballycastle Railways, and were erected at a cost of over £2,000. The manager of the concern is Mr. Bryden.

There are a large number of schools in the town and neighbourhood. In the town there is a Model National School, a school in connection with the Parish Church, one under the care of the Methodist body, and one connected with the Roman Catholic Chapel. There is also a school for Intermediate education, and one ladies' school. There is a nicely-enclosed park, opening off Castle Street, occupied by the Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club (established in 1853), which has an extensive membership.

The markets are extensive, flax, pork, oats, butter, and eggs being the principal commodities. The flax market is one of the largest in Ulster. There is also an extensive cattle market twice each month, which is patronised largely by buyers throughout the province. Fairs - May 5th, July 10th, and October 6th, and a horse fair every third Thursday of the month.

There are two Town Halls, one of which was built by public subscription in 1868. This building, which is in High Street, comprises Urban District Council Offices, Newsroom, extensive Library, and large Assembly Hall. The upper part of the other, the "Old Town Hall," is used for the Intermediate School; the lower storey houses the Working Men's Institute, which has Reading and Recreation Rooms in connection with it. There is a large Protestant Hall on the opposite side of the street, where the meetings of the North Antrim Constitutional Association are held. In 1885 a branch of the Young Men's Christian Association was opened, and has a large membership. It possesses fine premises in Church Street. The Route Temperance Establishment (a limited company) was opened in Market Street in 1888, and is in a prosperous state. The company subsequently acquired additional premises in Main Street, which consists of two dwelling-houses, let to tenants, and a large yard, which is used for stabling accommodation.

A splendid new railway station and extensive accommodation, waiting-rooms, and refreshment department has just been built, as well as an extensive goods shed. The Midland Railway (Belfast and Northern Counties Committee) forms the junction with the Ballycastle Railway. There are five stations on this latter line besides Ballymoney—viz., Dervock, Stranocum, Armoy, Capecastle, and Ballycastle. The line, which is a narrow gauge, is 16 miles in length. The Gas Works, the property of a limited liability company, are in Meeting-house Street. The price charged to consumers is 5/- per 1,000 cubic feet.