Church Street Coleraine, South Side,  1920s/1930s

[Griffith's Nos. 8-11]

This photograph shows Nos. 8 to 11 in Griffith's, No. 8 being on the right of the photograph. The fact that the name of the shopowner Robert Smyth [Draper]can be seen on No. 8 suggests that the photograph could not have been taken before 1928 [see Valuation Revisions for 1900s to 1960s]. The two smaller shops [Nos. 9 & 10] wedged between Smyth's and Caldwells, and shown more clearly in the early 1900s series of photographs, were a public house owned by Mrs McLaughlin [No. 9] and a butcher's shop owned by John McGrath [No. 10]. John Caldwell was a Wallpaper, Paint & Glass Merchant (Source: 1911 Census Returns). Next door to him in [11a]was Samuel McGrath (Butcher) by 1924 . Some time after 1924 Samuel McGrath's shop was taken over by Woolworth's. During the 1930s Woolworth's expanded into Caldwell's premises [No. 11] and also into [No. 10]. By the 1950s they had taken over Robert McIntosh's premises to the left of this photograph. By 1937 the Maypole Dairy Co. had moved into Mrs McLaughlin's premises and by the 1950s Robert Smyth had taken over [No. 9]. The next two photographs show the two small shops between Caldwells & Smyths plus Smyth's shop in more detail.

[Click here to open next photo in this window]


Courtesy of R. Anderson & T. McDonald.