Church Street Coleraine, South Side, 1930s

[Griffith's Nos. 9-10]

This photograph shows [Nos. 9 to 10] in Griffith's, in more detail. The appearance of these two shops changed very little through the nineteenth and the first half of the twentieth centuries. [No. 9] was a public house and had been occupied by the McLaughlin family since 1880. In 1937 it was taken over by the Maypole (Grocers). After the Maypole moved closer to the Diamond in the 1950s, it became part of Smyth's shop [No. 8].  [No. 10] had been McGrath's butcher's shop since 1891 and remained so until circa 1935 when it was taken over by Alexander M. Pearson. Some time after that it became part of Woolworth's. The gable end of [No. 11] can just be seen on the left hand side of the photograph and the architecture of that building shows that when this photograph was taken the new Woolworth's building had replaced the [No. 11 & 11a] shown in the previous photograph. The next photograph shows [No. 8], Smyth's shop in more detail.

[Next]         [Previous]

Courtesy of R. Anderson & T. McDonald.